|The next submission deadline for Letters of Inquiry for this funding opportunity will be posted here soon. Subscribe to PCORI’s weekly email for updates.|
Table of Contents
Healthcare research traditionally includes only scientists and other research professionals. At PCORI, our projects involve nontraditional stakeholders in selecting topics, designing and conducting research, and disseminating results. We believe engaging stakeholders with firsthand experience of conditions can produce more patient-centered, useful, and trustworthy research, ultimately leading to greater use of research results by patients and the broader healthcare community.
The Eugene Washington PCORI Engagement Award program, named in honor of the first chair of PCORI’s Board of Governors, aims to include patients, caregivers, clinicians, and other healthcare stakeholders in the research process. Our goal is to support projects that build communities prepared to participate in patient-centered outcomes research (PCOR) and comparative clinical effectiveness research (CER), as well as to serve as channels for disseminating study results. Building communities through engagement projects is central to our mission to fund useful CER that will help patients and those who care for them make better-informed healthcare decisions.
The Engagement Award program supports PCORI’s engagement imperative, which is defined in our Strategic Plan. The program provides a platform to increase engagement in research—that is, the meaningful involvement of patients, caregivers, clinicians, and other healthcare stakeholders throughout the research process. Of note: Engagement Awards do not fund research studies.
Step 1: Learn What We Fund
The Engagement Award program supports PCORI's Engagement Imperative—defined in our Strategic Plan—and provides a platform to increase engagement in research, that is, the meaningful involvement of patients, caregivers, clinicians, and other healthcare stakeholders throughout the research process. We expect projects selected for an Engagement Award to result in tools and resources that may be useful to other awardees for increasing patient and/or other stakeholder engagement in PCOR and CER, PCORI, and the broader PCOR community. We are committed to using and broadly sharing this information.
LOIs and applications will be considered nonresponsive for an Engagement Award if they propose:
- Projects solely intended to increase patient engagement in health care or healthcare systems rather than healthcare research
- Projects to design or test healthcare interventions
- Activities that involve the use of a drug or medical device
- Development of clinical practice guidelines or care protocols
- Projects to recruit and enroll patients for clinical trials
- Projects that only involve patients as subjects (individuals enrolled into a study as participants)
- Research studies including randomized controlled trials, observational studies and pragmatic clinical studies
- Development or maintenance of a registry, or recruitment to participate in a registry
- Projects designed solely to validate tools or instruments
- Writing research proposals or completing grant applications, grantmaking
- Projects focused on social determinants of health, with no focus on patient-centered outcomes research, or comparative clinical effectiveness research
- Planning for dissemination or dissemination initiatives without including PCORI-funded research or related products
- Conferences that are scheduled to occur less than 6 months from the application due date
- Projects or meetings without a clear focus on patient-centered outcomes research, or comparative clinical effectiveness research
Applications may be submitted by any private or public-sector organization, including any nonprofit or for-profit organization or any unit of local, state, or federal government. All US applicant organizations must be recognized by the Internal Revenue Service. Nondomestic components of organizations based in the United States and foreign organizations may apply as long as there is demonstrable benefit to the US healthcare system, and US efforts in the area of patient-centered research can be clearly shown. Organizations may submit multiple applications for funding. Individuals are not permitted to apply.
Letters of Inquiry (LOI) should be submitted by the application deadline. Full proposal submissions are by invitation only, after review and approval of the LOI. Letters of Inquiry will be screened for responsiveness to the call for applications and fit to program goals. Only those selected will be permitted to submit full applications. LOIs will be reviewed within 40 days of submission. A full proposal, submitted upon invitation only, should be submitted within 40 days of receiving the invitation. Full proposals will be reviewed within 40 days of submission. If the full proposal is awarded, a PCORI staff member will coordinate arrangements to begin contracting negotiations. Typically, contracts negotiations take about six weeks.
To select high-quality patient-centered projects, PCORI’s Engagement and Contract Management and Administration teams, and internal and external subject matter experts (as necessary) will review all Letters of Inquiry (LOI) and applications.
1. Program Fit
2. Project Plan and Timeline
3. Qualifications of the Project Lead
4. Personnel and Collaborators
5. Past Performance
6. Budget/Cost Proposal
For additional details on the review process, click here.
- Biosketch Template
- Board of Directors Template
- Budget Justification Template
- Budget Template
- Organizational Summary Worksheet Workplan Template
- Project Deliverables/Milestones Template
- Project Workplan and Timeline
- Applicant FAQs
- Review Process
- Blog Post: Refreshing the Engagement Awards Program
- Funded Projects Portfolio: Engagement in Research
- Webinar: Program Updates and Information for Applicants
- Presentation Slides: Program Updates and Information for Applicants
If you have any additional questions, please contact PCORI at email@example.com or (202) 370-9312. PCORI will provide a response within three business days.